One of the most characteristic architectural monuments of Debrecen is the City Hall, built in the classicist style.
Its history can be traced back to 1531, when in its previous form it served as the home of the city´s administration. It was changed and shaped for centuries, until it finally fell into worthy hands in 1802: Mihály Péchy drew up his first plans, but in the end, not enough money was collected for the realization.
Ferenc Povolny suffered a similar fate, whose plans were further dreamed up by chamber engineer József Ságody and which were finally accepted. The city took over the keys to the imposing tympanum and arcaded building in 1843.
In addition to the most important public affairs, the building also housed Lajos Kossuth and his family in 1849, but the office of the National Defense Commission was also located in this building. It is of historical interest that at that time the Hungarian Holy Crown was kept in the "secret archive".
You can find further informations about the current programs taking place in the city on the following pages: