This church building made of stone, with a capacity of 1600, was constructed from the charity donation of a Debrecen citizen, Báthory Szabó András. As a part of this process, it was crowned with a brass orb in 1726, but then was seriously damaged just a year after this, and was reconstructed only four years later.
Originally, the tower of the building was covered with an onion-shaped steeple, which was first damaged in a storm in 1907, then completely demolished by a wind-storm just after the end of the restoration process.

Reconciled with the intention of nature, the architects finally gave up and covered the tower without a cupola in the shape of a bastion, which then got to be known as “Csonka torony” [Truncated Tower].